SENIOR LEGAL CASHIER / LEGAL CASHIER
Respected Law Firm requires a Legal Cashier and Senior Legal Cashier
You will be required to maintain and develop all necessary financial controls, systems and processes to ensure the efficient and effective management of the firm’s finances and compliance with statutory requirements.
Supervise a small team of staff to provide full accounting services to the firm.
- To manage and allocate all resources effectively within the Accounts team
- Monitor and manage all necessary accounting policies and procedures
- To identify and manage all risks in a controlled and professional manner
- To ensure that authority levels are adhered to at all times.
- To ensure the reporting & workflow timetable is achieved.
- Ensure the team’s communication and relationship with all stakeholders is handled properly and in a way in which is consistent with the ethos and strategy of the business.
- To be responsible for providing the other departments with the necessary information, properly laid out, to enable them to discharge their responsibilities with the maximum of efficiency but at all times making the best use of firm resources.
- Maintain reliable and accurate accounting records and produce management accounts as necessary to facilitate the effective management of the firm.
- Ensure that all office and client bank accounts are reconciled on a regular (daily) basis.
- Ensure compliance with the firm’s policies and Solicitors Accounts Rules.
- Managing day to day running of the accounts office and the control of all accounting systems.
- Bank - ensure company bank accounts are maintained within their agreed facility, liaise with the bank on matters concerning account transactions, balances, charges and any information required.
- Billing – ensure that all bills raised by fee earners are posted in a timely manner and accurately.
- Cashflow – to monitor cash requirements and maintain a rolling cashflow.
- Month-end - ensure all information, including accruals, is available and entered into a computer system in good time to “close down” in preparation for “Month End”.
- Management Accounts – prepare and check monthly management accounts. Including, but not limited to: P&L, balance sheet, fixed asset schedules, depreciation calculations, accruals, prepayments, interest calculations and the preparation of relevant schedules.
- HMRC - Prepare quarterly VAT Returns and reconciliations including fuel scale charges and deal with VAT visits and payments.
- Auditors & Audit – assist in the provision of audit schedules for the annual audit and answer queries during the audit. Attempt to look ahead to foresee potential VAT problems.
- Support the Credit Control team.
- Budgets - assist in the preparation of the annual budget and budget cash flow - report on forecasts and variances against budget throughout the year to assist decision-making.
- Year-end - chase up invoices, bills etc for entry before “closing down”. Ensure reports required by auditors are run-off and filed, supervise final year-end close-down.
- Provide assistance to the accounts team on purchase invoice and credit card codings and VAT issues, bank reconciliations, journals and petty cash accounting.
- Corporation tax - ensure that six monthly payments are made to HMR&C as required.
- Arrange the payment of drawings to equity partners as agreed by the Finance Director.
- Provide advice on financial accountancy issues to HoDs and colleagues as required and escalate issues to the Finance Manager and Finance Director as appropriate.
- Ad hoc projects as required
- A degree or equivalent - ideally a professional qualification (e.g. ILFM)
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience of professional services preferred.
- Knowledge of Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Thorough knowledge of the firm and its service areas and processes
- Computer literate i.e. Word, Excel, Email, use of practice management software
- A commercial business and customer service orientated approach.
- Excellent organisational skills and a focus on accuracy.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent decision-making skills.
- Ability to use own initiative and a proactive attitude.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must have a proactive “can do” and collaborative approach with “value-added” attitude.
- Self-motivated and a team player
- Desire to succeed and make a difference.
- Ability to make own decisions with an appreciation of when to communicate & escalate issues to management.
- Ability to prioritise activities and manage a busy and demanding role
- Attention to detail and understanding of reconciliations but with a “bigger picture” approach