Personal Injury Lawyer -
Pay Rate; £32.16 p/h Umbrella
Hours: 7.4 per day 37 per week .
Contract length: 11 months
In scope of IR35
All candidates MUST be qualified Barrister or Solicitors with recent Personal Injury experience
The handling of private law claims brought against the Ministry of Justice (including the Prison and Probation Service and HM Court Service) and also the CPS. The majority of these cases are personal injury claims but there are also claims for false imprisonment, breach of the Human Rights Act and misfeasance. In addition the team deals with a large number of inquests, primarily on the part of the prison service.
The team are looking for an experienced lawyer to assist in what will be a busy caseload of primarily personal injury claims. The position is for a Grade 7 lawyer. The ideal candidate should have strong post qualification experience in personal injury litigation including dealing with fast track and multi track claims and will be required to handle all aspects of their cases from pre-action stage up to and including appeals.
- Provide robust risk based advice
- Use a process of analysis, planning, scheduling, prioritising, action, quality monitoring and review
- Take responsibility for own work with substantial degree of autonomy but knowing when to consult and to delegate
- Report risks appropriately to line manager
- Comply with case management system requirements and quality standards
- Give early warning to those affected by changes in individual cases .
- Display an understanding of the resourcing requirements of own cases.
- Have up-to-the minute case files readily available
- Display an understanding of the context the client operates in.
- Display the professional attitude that client and department expect from a member of an organisation with a high reputation
- Adopt a style most likely to build an effective working relationship with the client.
- Respond to reasonable client requests including agreeing achievable and realistic actions, timescales
- Acknowledge clients’ concerns and works to alleviate these in a way that balances client and Department needs
- Be alert to media interest which may have an impact on the reputation of the client and/or the Department
- Help other team members to meet tight deadlines to preserve Department’s reputation.
- Display Civil Service Values, help other people, focus on customer service and look proactively for solutions.
- Keep abreast of legal developments and current thinking on related policy issues.
- Maintain and develops professional knowledge and expertise using training and other methods as appropriate Share best practice and develop knowledge management
- Comply with professional standards of own regulatory body
Skills & Experience:
- Strong private law civil litigation experience essential
- Strong experience in personal injury defendant work highly desirable
- Good drafting and written skills essential
- Ability to meet time and billing targets essential
- Experience in managing a busy civil litigation caseload essential.
- Public sector/Central Government experience desirable but not essential
Essential : Qualified Solicitor registered on the Law Society roll with post qualification experience.
(n.b. Candidates with equivalent qualifications and suitable experience from outside the England and Wales jurisdiction will be considered)
Desirable : 3 years + PQE